Sunday, November 30, 2008

Susan

So what have I been doing since I haven't been posting?  

1.  Work
2.  Church Bible Study
3.  Neighborhood Bible Study
4.  PAC
5.  Kids Party Committee
6.  Float Committee
7.  Taxi Service for Children
8.  Etc.

I'm starting to fall into a routine at work and am even enjoying my job some days now.  There are many kind people at Musco and that definitely helps.  I am starting to earn the respect of my peers in that I actually do have a clue as to what I am doing even though I haven't lived here for my entire life.

Since I haven't been in any Bible studies I'm trying to make up for lost time and have joined two this year.  One is at church and takes place on Wednesday when Emily is at her girls group and the other is the moms in our neighborhood.

The PAC is the Principals Advisory Committee at the middle school.  Our logic is I can't complain unless I try and fix the errors at the school so somehow I have ended up on this committee to state my opinion and try and improve the middle school.  I know that you are in shock that I would end up on a committee stating my opinion about the school but it is true.  You are probably also shocked to know that I have no problem, whatsoever, stating my opinion.  We'll see how long they keep me.  I did just get one of my biggest pet peeves of the school changed.  If a student forgets their lunch card then they have to sit at a discipline table to eat lunch.  Of course, my children are human and have both forgotten their lunch card except they don't eat lunch because they don't want to sit at the bad kid table.  I have been told that this is to teach responsibility.  Yet, the 40% of our students that are on free and reduced lunch are not required to follow this rule because they get their lunch free anyway so it doesn't matter.  I have struggled to understand how punishing honor roll students that are responsible and have proven they are responsible by maintaining excellent grades at all times, how requiring them to sit at a discipline table for forgetting their lunch card once or twice a year is teaching responsibility.  I have not met any administrator or teacher in this school system that has never made a mistake.   I have stated my opinion of this ridiculous rule and how responsible children are being punished for being human.  The rule has finally been removed and the once or twice a year my child forgets their lunch card they are now allowed to just punch in their number and eat their lunch like responsible, civilized human beings.  OK, I'm getting off my soap box now!

The Kids Party committee was at work.  Each year Musco has a party for all of the Musco children.  This year we had a science experiment party.  There were 200 children in attendance with 2o different science experiment stations.  Larry had his very own station and the girls had their own station.  I was very proud of how well they follow directions.  You would think they were used to me volunteering them for different activities.  I was very pleased with the way the party turned out.  

I was also talked into being on the Christmas Float committee at work.  The Lighted Christmas Parade is a HUGE deal here.  It is two different nights, this Thursday and Friday, and we prefer to win for our float!  I have been spending many hours float building and Larry and the girls have even been helping, also.  We are looking forward to this being complete.

There are days that I am really looking forward to two teenagers having their drivers license. They have become so busy that it is interesting to see how we get everywhere we are supposed to be.  

The etc. would be the cooking, cleaning and shopping to maintain daily life.  The cooking is a pain because we only have a few restaurants.  It's not like we can say, "gosh, I'm tired tonight how about if we go out to eat" - where would we go - McDonalds?  What we wouldn't do for a few restaurants.  Cleaning - it still doesn't get done - never has, never will.  I just wish we could find a cleaning lady. Shopping, oh wait - that is the only thing I can no longer do because we have no stores here!!!!  I need a mall so badly!!!!!

2 comments:

Diana said...

You need to be at Richards changing the lunch room and someone yelling ALL the time at the kids:(

The Bowman Bunch said...

Susan, you are so busy! I don't know how you keep up with it all. Keep going after their school...the only way to make it better is to get involved. You have the right idea..I totally agree with you on the lunch card bit. That was ridiculous!